The roles in Vantage Partners’ consulting practice are geared toward talented individuals who welcome a fast-paced, challenging environment. While the consulting team at Vantage Partners works collaboratively, each position in the consulting career path has a different focus and corresponding requirement for experience.
Below are descriptions of each role:
Principals are senior leaders within Vantage Partners and as such take on significant internal and external responsibilities. Through years of experience, Principals have mastered a variety of skills and demonstrated competencies in multiple types of settings consistently.
Primary Principal Activities:
- Designs and scopes projects of all types essentially independently;
- Acts as Engagement Leader for large, complex engagements;
- Manages client relationships with own clients and client accounts;
- Designs custom training programs;
- Leads delivery of both standard and customized training sessions across multiple types of audiences and different contexts, often with less senior resources acting as ‘second;’
- Authors articles and white papers;
- Speaks at conferences, association meetings, etc., and makes media appearances/is quoted from time to time;
- Works closely with Marketing on various initiatives;
- Develops and nurtures client accounts;
- As needed, assists with business development pursuits;
- Develops new methodologies/approaches to address potential client needs;
- Manages people or functions internally;
- Formally coaches and/or mentors consultants.
Meet a Principal
With a deep understanding of business and Vantage’s unique intellectual property, Senior Consultants play a significant role on client engagements of increasingly greater size and complexity; as such, the role requires a greater and more sophisticated skill set than that of a Consultant. They also begin to take on more substantive roles across different Practices.
Primary Senior Consultant Activities:
- Partner with senior executives to define project approach and ensure overall project plan will achieve client objectives
- Work closely with client project teams to proactively identify and resolve issues that may adversely impact project
- Facilitate meetings and participate in working sessions with clients
- Actively and methodically align various cross-functional stakeholders around objectives and measures of success
- Continuously communicate project status and results
Project and Team Management:
- Design and lead consulting projects for Fortune 500 clients
- Design and perform diagnostic activities, including creating a diagnostic interview plan, leading
diagnostic interviews, and analyzing complex qualitative data
- Design client deliverables such as business processes to manage complex corporate relationships
- Deliver training and coach individuals on Vantage’s negotiation and relationship management process and tools
- Contribute significantly to Vantage’s practices: Alliance Management, Sourcing and Supplier Management, Sales Effectiveness & Enterprise Learning
- Simultaneously manage multiple projects and teams under tight deadlines
- Write articles and white papers on Vantage’s practices and/or methodology
- Create case studies to support marketing and business development efforts
- Coach junior consultants
Meet a Senior Consultant
Consultants generally come to Vantage with several years of business experience and play a significant role in project-managing client engagements and contributing to client deliverables, working closely with Senior Consultants, Principals, and Partners.
Primary Consultant Activities:
- Project-manages client engagements and significant internal projects;
- Facilitates regular meetings and participates in working sessions with clients;
- Serves as primary drafter for client deliverables and takes responsibility for soliciting and incorporating input from other team members;
- Reviews deliverables with clients and solicits feedback;
- Analyzes complex qualitative and quantitative data as part of diagnostic projects and internal or client-funded research studies;
- Conducts diagnostic interviews;
- Acts as a second trainer for standard Negotiation and Difficult Conversations trainings.
- Supports business development pursuits;
- Contributes to writing whitepapers and articles;
- Participates in internal teams, e.g., Practices, recruiting, professional development, knowledge management.
Meet a Consultant
The Analyst role is our entry-level consulting position. This role , focuses on both supporting internal activities for Practices as well as supporting work for client engagements.
Primary Analyst Activities:
- Conducting background research on potential clients and newly engaged clients
- Conducting secondary research for various studies and articles
- Coordinating and helping to draft marketing materials such as case studies describing prior client projects
- Gathering and developing materials for client presentations and other deliverables
- Preparing presentation materials for speaking engagements and conferences
- Supporting academic research projects by helping with survey design and distribution, participation tracking, data management, data analysis and report writing
- Project Management of small to large internally-focused projects like research studies, book-writing, and strategy-development efforts
- Scheduling and logistics
- Timeline and project plan creation and tracking
- Note-taking and task management including tracking next steps, assigning tasks, and following up to ensure completion
Meet an Analyst
Because of the relatively flat organizational structure of the firm, members of the consulting team benefit from a significant amount of responsibility early in their careers. We actively leverage any major client engagement or internal project as a development opportunity for individuals to build new or enhanced competencies and receive real-time coaching and feedback. The small size of our case teams and our coaching model offer individuals regular interaction with more senior members of the firm. Additionally, there are a series of programs throughout the year to support the continual development of Vantage employees. Sample topics include a Vantage 101,; Vantage Practice Overviews and Presentation Skills.
The recruiting process begins with a first round phone interview with either the Director of Human Resources or one of our senior level consultants. We then conduct final round interviews by hosting an "Interview Day" where we invite a group of candidates to our Boston office for a series of one-on-one and group interviews. The day typically includes a presentation and Q&A on the company, multiple analytical exercises, an informal group discussion, and the opportunity to meet a number of individuals on our consulting team. The goal of the “Interview Day” is to create a stimulating and open environment where we can evaluate one another as potential colleagues, and hopefully have some fun in the process.
Interested candidates are encouraged to email a resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.